Bed bugs are small, reddish-brown insects that feed on the blood of animals and humans. They are usually active at night and hide in cracks and crevices during the day. These bugs are known for their itchy, red bites and their ability to quickly reproduce, this makes them a difficult problem to eliminate. In this blog, we will provide a comprehensive guide on how to get rid of bed bugs and prevent them from returning.
Table of Contents
How to Identify Bed Bugs?
The first step in getting rid of bed bugs is to correctly identify them. Bed bugs are small, they are about the size of an apple seed, and have a reddish-brown color. They are flat and oval-shaped, and their bodies become more elongated and reddish after feeding. They have six legs and two antennae.
Bed bugs are often found in the seams of mattresses, box springs, and bed frames. Furthermore, the crevices of headboards and bedside tables. In addition to this they can also be found in other furniture, such as sofas and chairs, as well as in cracks and crevices in walls and floors.
Detecting a Bed Bug Infestation
Bed bugs can be difficult to detect because they are small and hide in tight spaces. Some signs of an infestation include:
- Small reddish-brown bugs or shed exoskeletons in or around your bed or other furniture
- Blood stains on sheets, mattresses, or bedding
- Small, reddish-brown fecal spots on sheets, mattresses, or bedding
- A sweet, musty odor
Should you suspect an infestation, taking action as soon as possible is extremely important to prevent the problem from becoming worse.
Preventing an infestation is the best way to avoid the hassle and expense of getting rid of bed bugs. In this situation there are some steps you can take to prevent an infestation include:
- Regularly inspecting and vacuuming your home, especially in areas where bed bugs are commonly found
- Using a bed bug-proof mattress and box spring encasement
- Keeping your bed and other furniture away from the walls and floor
- Regularly inspecting and vacuuming your car
- Not bringing used furniture or mattresses into your home
Once you have identified you do have a bed bug infestation, the importance to take action as soon as possible to prevent the problem from becoming worse is extremely high. Some steps you can take to get rid of bed bugs include:
- Vacuuming and steaming: Vacuuming and steaming are effective ways to remove bed bugs and their eggs from your home. Be sure to vacuum and steam clean all areas where bed bugs are commonly found, including your bed, furniture, and the crevices of walls and floors.
- Chemical treatments: There are a variety of chemical treatments available for bed bugs. Compared to natural treatments, these include sprays, dusts, and foggers. Be sure to follow the instructions on the product carefully and use it only in the areas where bed bugs are commonly found.
- Heat treatment: Heat treatment is a highly effective way to get rid of bed bugs. The heat kills bed bugs and their eggs, and it can be used on all types of surfaces, including furniture and clothing.
- Professional extermination: If you are unable to get rid of the bed bugs yourself, it may be necessary to hire a professional exterminator. They will use a combination of the methods above to eliminate the infestation and prevent it from returning.
The thermal death point of Bed bugs is 45°C. East Coast Industro Services makes use of a Steam Cleaning System that is certified by the Institute For Hygiene & Microbiology. In addition this system Steam Cleans at 170°C at 8 Bars of pressure. Contact us today for Steam Cleaning to remove Bed Bugs.
What are some common ways to get rid of bed bugs?
Using a vacuum cleaner to remove the bugs and their eggs, using a steamer to kill the bugs and their eggs, using pesticides specifically labeled for bed bugs, and using heat treatment to kill the bugs and their eggs
Can bed bugs be eliminated with home remedies?
Rubbing alcohol or essential oils, may help repel bed bugs or kill some of the bugs, but they are unlikely to fully eliminate an infestation. Hence It is best to consult with a professional pest control company for a thorough elimination.
How do I prevent bed bugs from returning after treatment?
Regularly inspect your home for signs of infestation, reduce clutter in your home, and use protective encasements on your mattress and box springs.
Can bed bugs live in my car?
It is possible for bed bugs to live in a car, especially if they are transported in luggage or on clothing. Therefore to prevent bed bugs in your car, regularly inspect your vehicle and vacuum it regularly.
How long does it take to get rid of bed bugs?
Time it takes to get rid of bed bugs depends on the severity of the infestation and the methods used to eliminate them. For this reason a professional pest control company may need multiple treatments to fully eliminate an infestation. As a result, It could take a few weeks to several months
What kills bed bugs immediately?
A specialised steamer equipped with a large steaming head is utilised for the effective treatment of bed bugs. Since this enables cleaning on various surfaces such as mattresses, inside box springs, upholstered furniture, along the tacking strips of carpets, behind baseboards, together with other areas where the use of insecticides may be deemed inappropriate. As a result, the steaming process is a meticulous endeavor, requiring the technician to consistently Steam Clean at 170°C on every inch of the affected surface.
Bed bugs are a difficult problem to eliminate, but with the right approach, it is possible to get rid of them and prevent them from returning. As a result, the key is to identify the infestation early, take preventative measures to avoid an infestation, and use a combination of vacuuming, steaming, chemical treatments, heat treatment, and professional extermination.
You have to remember that bed bugs can be easily spread from one location to another, therefore it is essential to take precautions when traveling, what’s more important is inspecting hotel rooms and not bringing any infested items back home. Additionally, it’s crucial to maintain a clean and clutter-free home, as bed bugs thrive in environments with a lot of hiding spots in cardboard boxes and news paper
In summary, bed bugs are a frustrating and overwhelming problem. On the whole, with persistence and the right approach, you can get rid of them and prevent them from returning. Finally, Don’t hesitate to reach out to a professional if the infestation is extensive and you are not able to solve it on your own.