Solar panels are the perfect way to reduce the pain and inconvenience of Eskom’s Load Shedding. But did you know that birds can be a problem for solar panels? Birds can damage solar panels, reduce their efficiency, spread diseases, and even create a fire hazard.
That’s why it’s important to bird proof your solar panels. There are a number of different solar panel bird proofing solutions available, so you can choose the one that’s right for your needs and budget.
Table of Contents
Why is solar panel bird proofing important?
There are a number of reasons why solar panel bird proofing is important.
- Birds can damage solar panels. Birds can scratch and peck at solar panels, damaging the surface and reducing their efficiency. In some cases, birds can even cause enough damage to completely disable a solar panel.
- Bird droppings can reduce solar panel efficiency. Bird droppings can block sunlight from reaching the solar panels, reducing their efficiency. Bird droppings can also be corrosive, damaging the solar panels over time.
- Birds can spread diseases. Birds can carry a number of diseases that can be harmful to humans and animals. These diseases can be spread through bird droppings, feathers, and saliva.
- Birds can create a fire hazard. Birds can build nests in and around solar panels. These nests can catch fire, posing a fire hazard to your home or business.
READ NEXTFREE SOLAR PANEL MAINTENANCE CHECKLIST
Common types of solar panel bird proofing
There are a number of different types of solar panel bird proofing available. The most common types include:
- Galvanized mesh: Galvanized mesh is a durable wire mesh that can be used to create a barrier around solar panels. This prevents birds from landing on the panels and nesting underneath.
- Bird spikes: Bird spikes are sharp metal spikes that can be attached to solar panels and other surfaces. These spikes deter birds from landing and perching.
- Bird netting: Bird netting is a fine mesh netting that can be used to create a barrier around solar panels. This prevents birds from flying into and landing on the panels.
- Bird repellents: Bird repellents are chemical or ultrasonic devices that can be used to deter birds. These devices can be sprayed on or attached to solar panels.
- Bird exclusion devices: Bird exclusion devices are physical devices that can be used to prevent birds from entering certain areas. This includes devices such as chimney caps and vent guards.
How to choose the right solar panel bird proofing solution
When choosing a solar panel bird proofing solution, there are a few things to consider:
- The type of birds you’re trying to deter. Different types of birds are deterred by different things. For example, some birds are deterred by bright colors, while others are deterred by loud noises.
- The size and layout of your solar panel system. The size and layout of your solar panel system will determine the type of bird proofing solution that’s right for you. For example, if you have a large solar panel system, you may need to use multiple bird proofing solutions.
- Your budget. Solar panel bird proofing solutions can range in price from a few dollars to a few hundred dollars. It’s important to choose a solution that fits your budget.
How to install solar panel bird proofing
The installation process for solar panel bird proofing will vary depending on the type of solution you choose. However, there are some general tips that you can follow.
- Make sure the surface of the solar panels is clean and dry. This will help the bird proofing solution adhere to the panels.
- Follow the instructions that come with the bird proofing solution. This will ensure that the solution is installed correctly.
- Inspect the bird proofing solution regularly to make sure it’s still in place and working properly.
Tips for maintaining your solar panel bird proofing
- Inspect your bird proofing regularly. Look for any signs of damage or wear and tear. Repair or replace the bird proofing if necessary.
- Clean and repair your bird proofing as needed. This will help it stay effective for longer.
- If you’re using a chemical bird repellent, follow the instructions on the product label carefully.
Bird proofing of Solar Panels In Durban
East Coast Industro Services make use of a solar panel bird proofing system that does not require drilling or screwing onto your solar panels. This system enables you to maintain your warranty while keeping those pesky birds form nesting under your solar panels.
Solar panel bird proofing is an important step to take to protect your solar panels and your investment. There are a number of different solar panel bird proofing solutions available, so you can choose the one that’s right for your needs and budget.
What is the best way to bird proof my solar panels?
The best way to bird proof your solar panels depends on the type of birds you’re trying to deter and the size and layout of your solar panel system. Some common bird proofing solutions include galvanized mesh, bird spikes, bird netting, bird repellents, and bird exclusion devices.
How much does it cost to bird proof solar panels?
The cost of bird proofing solar panels can vary depending on the type of solution you choose and the size and layout of your solar panel system. However, most bird proofing solutions are relatively affordable.
Can I bird proof my solar panels myself?
Yes, you can bird proof your solar panels yourself. However, it’s important to follow the instructions that come with the bird proofing solution carefully.
How often should I inspect my solar panel bird proofing?
You should inspect your solar panel bird proofing regularly, especially after a storm or other severe weather event. Look for any signs of damage or wear and tear. Repair or replace the bird proofing if necessary.
How can I clean my solar panel bird proofing?
You can clean your solar panel bird proofing using a mild soap and water solution. Avoid using harsh chemicals, as this can damage your solar panels.
Are solar panels worth it for bird proofing?
Certainly. Solar panels are a significant investment, and it’s essential to ensure their long-term effectiveness. Unfortunately,solar panels creates a perfect nesting spot for birds, which can compromise the performance of solar panels over time. Protecting your solar investment from avian interference is crucial for maintaining their efficiency and longevity.